Tuesday 25 January 2011

Hide and Seek

2005

Robert De Niro, Dakota Fanning

One of my 'Oh this looks good, i will buy this' moments when i was in HMV...


I am very glad i did.  I have watched this many many times and even though i know the outcome i still enjoy it.
David Callaway (De Niro) is a widowed Psychologist, who, after the suicide of his wife, decides to take his traumatised daughter Emily (Fanning) to live in the country to try and get her to forget her past. She has no friends, so when she starts taking an interest in the imaginary 'Charlie', David is initially happy to acknowledge him. Soon, David realises that Charlie is not all he seems and things take a sinister turn.

I always find psychological thrillers scarier than slasher movies so this ticks all the boxes for me...the music and lighting create quite a spooky atmosphere. Noone i have watched this with has twigged what is going to happen in the end which amuses me.

De Niro is brilliant in this, i like him best when he is a man on the edge. Fanning, well i think this is her best film to date.....I don't want to shut her up, which i have done in every other one (think War of the Worlds - argh she is so annoying). Her acting is mature and has depth and she really is the best actress of her age.

9/10 - Just because there are some annoying plot holes, that's my only gripe

No comments:

Post a Comment